About the College
The College of Letters, Arts & Sciences
The College of Letters, Arts & Sciences (LAS) is a community of teaching scholars whose mission is to advance an understanding of the human condition and the natural world and communicate this understanding to the people of Colorado and the world at large.
About the College
The College of Letters, Arts, & Sciences provides collaborative programs that:
- Enrich the community
- Promote the creation of a vibrant and creative cultural life
- Strengthen and sustain a productive and responsible economic sector
- Facilitate the solution of community and regional problems
- Increase the health and well-being of individuals and groups
- Support scientific and technological innovation
- Enhance the understanding and practice of civic duty and responsibility
Letter from the Dean
Dear LAS Faculty, Staff, Students, Alumni and Community,
As we embark upon a new academic year, I write to extend a warm welcome to the College of Letters, Arts & Sciences (LAS) community. The first day of school marks a time of renewal, opportunity, and commitment to the ideals that have shaped our community of scholars dedicated to YOUR success.
LAS is not merely an institution, but a thriving ecosystem made up of many disciplines dedicated to developing people and ideas. We take pride in our faculty's deep commitment to a well-rounded and innovative education. As a diverse community of scholars, we apply what we have learned to prepare ourselves and others for an inclusive and evolving future.
In alignment with our values, our focus for this academic year includes:
- Strategic Enrollment: Emphasizing diversity and inclusivity in our student body, we'll target enrollment strategies that ensure access for all promising students.
- Strategic Planning: Working together, we'll develop long-term strategies that align with the core mission of LAS and position us for future success.
- Research: We will continue to foster a thriving research environment, encouraging collaboration and innovation that pushes the boundaries of knowledge.
- Budget Sustainability and Transparency: Managing our resources with responsibility and transparency will ensure that we continue to support our core mission without sacrificing our commitment to excellence.
- Curricular and Teaching Innovation: Building on LAS traditions, we'll continue to create a curriculum that challenges students to understand and explore the universe and what it means to be a person living in the world, while also incorporating cutting-edge methodologies.
- Communication: Open and clear communication among faculty, staff, students and the broader community will remain a priority. Your voice and collaboration are essential to our shared success.
Furthermore, we must continue discussions on AI tools. As a demonstration, this letter has been a collaboration between me, LAS dean’s staff and ChatGPT 4.0. The letter, of course, says what I want it to say, and I am fully responsible for its content. Like spell-check, Google Translate and predictive text before them, AI tools are not going away. We must explore ways to modify teaching practices to improve and ensure learning and leverage AI tools for increased productivity. Many of you have already made important contributions to this discussion, and the Faculty Resource Center has established a resource page with articles, sample syllabi entries, AI detection tools and practical advice. I encourage you all to consult and contribute to this page. Technology is not an end but a means to enhance the educational experience.
I invite our students to engage in experiential learning opportunities. Whether it's through participation in research, service-learning, internships, or study-away opportunities, these experiences will undoubtedly enrich your education. Graduate students, your collaboration in ground-breaking research will be a beacon for future scholars.
It's all here for the taking, and we gladly give you this opportunity. Welcome students to the Fall 2023 semester! We can’t wait to walk beside you on your journey and marvel at your success!
Your contributions and dedication are what make LAS a remarkable place to learn, teach and grow. Together, let's make this academic year a time of fulfillment, innovation and achievement.
With warm regards,
L. Lynn Vidler, Ph.D.
Dean, College of Letters, Arts & Sciences
LAS offers undergraduate and graduate education that combines interdisciplinary experiences in the liberal arts and sciences, integration of our LAS community with the broader region and world, opportunities for hands-on learning, active problem solving, and creative expression, and a cohesive, inclusive LAS community.
Discover the variety of degree programs LAS offers, or create your own through Independent Studies.
Research within LAS
Cutting-edge research opportunities at LAS are part of transformative education in the liberal arts and sciences. LAS graduates are well prepared to continue their education or succeed in changing work environments.
LAS combines high-quality theoretical education with practical knowledge on applying those theories through relevant research opportunities and the service orientation of giving back to our local and global communities.
LAS Vision Statement
The College of Letters, Arts & Sciences positions students for success in their professional and personal lives through innovative and collaborative teaching, scholarship, and connections with the community and the broader world. LAS affirms and accepts the ideal purposes and traditional goals of all great universities: the creation, interpretation, dissemination, and application of knowledge. The college strives to maintain these goals while formulating and delivering innovative and creative programs.
The college provides collaborative programs that enrich the community, promote the creation of a vibrant and creative cultural life, strengthen, and sustain a productive and responsible economic sector, facilitate the solution of community and regional problems, increase the safety, health, and welfare of individuals and groups, sustain scientific and technological innovation, and enhance the understanding and practice of civic duty and responsibility.